1992, Viviers

 

In 1992 Gérard's friend, Roger, a sculptor who lived in the Ardèche, told us about a medieval town called Viviers that was offering free accommodation and retail space to anyone who would help revitalize the town for the summer.

I applied. And in July we loaded up the car with all of Tumbleweed's stock, a couple of sawhorses and boards, and set off for the Ardèche.

I was given a space for my shop (with living quarters above the shop) in an ancient, abandoned stone building that was centuries old. The building was very dark inside and totally empty. Roger brought over a mattress and a table and lent me a few absolute necessities.

Gérard went back to work in Paris and I stayed alone in the empty building for a good part of the summer. I made some friends, I sold some stuff, and I was totally happy there and loved the experience!

My shop was on the corner of this narrow old street (left) and this passageway leading up to the cathedral (right).

 

View from the window of my lodgings





My lodgings above the shop

Being interviewed for the local TV station

With Gérard in front of the shop

Hangin' with my new friends

Comments

Popular Posts