1989, passage Thiéré

This is the story of Tumbleweed, the shop I had in Paris for 28 and a half years.

I started the business with no capital and no one would have bet a nickel that it would survive. But my motto was, "The only difference between the difficult and the impossible is that the impossible takes more time".

In the summer of 1989 I hung out my sign on a small street in the Bastille. It was a street that nobody ever walked down. The shop was 8 square meters (86 square feet)!

On my street there were two junk shops (brocantes), a Brazilian art gallery, a Portuguese café and, next door to me, a Corsican restaurant.

Under the Corsican restaurant, in the basement, was a church: L'Église Évangélique du Nazaréen Libre. The congregation was Haitian and they would arrive every evening in their Sunday best to sing rousing gospel songs!

Next to the church, in the basement directly under Tumbleweed, was a brothel. The owner, Aldo, called it a "hostess bar". Shortly after I opened, Aldo started a petition against the church. He complained that the churchgoers congregated and made noise in the street and that it was detrimental to his business!

One of the neighbors, called Jo, was particularly kind to me. She ran a home nursing service and occasionally, she would bring out a couple of chairs and a small table and set them up between two parked cars in the street.

We would chat and other neighbors would invariably pass by and stop to join in the conversation. Once the Corsican restaurant owner, Francis, served us lunch out there. The atmosphere was unique and priceless. But all the while, I hadn't sold a thing!


Kids from the street enjoying a wedding at the church


The children played in the street all day long. They made cars from discarded boxes.


"... among the garbage and the flowers"


One of the characters who lived on the street


Beautiful ebony blade letter openers (behind me) and papier mâché finger puppets

Comments

  1. More! Great story! Love the picture of you—you look so happy. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruby! I was happy (because I felt I had found my path) but I was also pretty nervous (because I had taken a big leap into the unknown). Next chapter coming soon. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story...More more more. Love the picture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernard! I'm working on the next chapter. Going through old slides that I will have digitized when my local photo shop reopens after their August vacation.

      Delete
  3. I still have a set of those finger puppert in our front window. Love the photos - I can't believe how old things look, that these are from my life-time/Paris-time and not from generations past. Egad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: This is Lisa. And 11 August 2020 was our 30th wedding anniversary, so I guess these are from generations past (like me)!

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha! 1989 is the year the Opéra Bastille opened... and it's the year the Berlin Wall came down!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts